Slip / Trip and Fall
Slip-and-fall accidents can lead to serious injuries. Following an injury fall, it will become important to determine what caused the fall and how it could have been prevented. Whenever someone’s negligence leads to an injury, the victim may be able to seek compensation for the injury. A skilled trip and fall attorney can help an injured victim assess liability and pursue fair compensation for their injuries, damages and losses.Causes of Slip-and-Fall Injuries
There are many hazardous circumstances that can lead to a Florida slip and fall injury.
- Slippery Floors: Building owners must post warnings when a floor is wet or slippery.
- Uneven Floors: Premises that have uneven or cracked floors can lead to falling accidents. If this problem is prevalent on a property, the owner should carefully mark the hazardous areas.
- Broken Steps: Cracked and broken stairs can cause dangerous trip and fall accidents. It is the responsibility of the building owner to quickly repair any damaged stairs.
- Workplace Injuries: Workplaces such as construction sites are particularly notorious for falling accidents. Employers and property owners are responsible for providing a safe workplace environment.
The size of the settlement available to an injured victim may be determined by how much carelessness played a factor in the accident. Questions that a victim will have to answer include:
- Did you have a legitimate reason for being where you were at the time of the accident?
- Should you have reasonably seen the hazardous conditions before the accident?
- Did you notice any signs notifying the public of the dangerous conditions?
- Were you acting reasonably at the time of incident?
Simply falling on someone’s property does not automatically make the owner liable for the injuries suffered. A successful claim against the property owner requires the plaintiff to prove that the defendant exhibited negligence in some way. Reviewing a history of accidents on a site can show a history of dangerous conditions and negligence. Also, interviewing witnesses to the incident may help bolster a claim. It must be clear that a hazardous condition existed, the victim was injured by that condition and the property owner knew of the condition and failed to protect the consumers.How Much is your Slip-and-Fall Claim Worth?
The value of a claim depends upon the severity of the injury suffered and the extent of negligence on the part of the property owner. All present and future medical bills related to an accident may be covered by a successful personal injury claim. Additionally, financial losses such as lost wages and cost of therapy should also be considered in a claim. Non-financial losses that may be considered include compensation for physical pain suffered and the resulting mental anguish. Failure to have a skilled personal injury attorney on your side may result in an inadequate settlement that does not fully cover the costs of an injury.
The personal injury attorneys at the Law Office of Ruth E. Johnson help victims receive the compensation they need following a Florida slip-and-fall accident. Our skilled attorneys offer free case evaluations to injured victims and their families. Call us today to find out how we can help.