Florida pedestrian accidents often result in major, if not catastrophic, injuries. Victims of pedestrian accidents face significant medical expenses, loss of wages, hospitalization and other related costs. If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident caused by a negligent driver or a dangerous roadway, please contact a reputed Miami personal injury lawyer to obtain more information about pursuing your legal rights.Florida Pedestrian Accidents
According to a Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle report, 530 pedestrians were killed in car accidents that took place in 2007. In 2008, 502 pedestrians were killed in car accidents.Causes of Miami Pedestrian Accidents
There are many reasons why a driver may fail to avoid a collision with a pedestrian. A skilled personal injury attorney will work with the authorities and investigators to determine why the crash took place. Here are some of the most common causes for pedestrian accidents:
- Failure to yield right-of-way: Motor vehicles must yield right-of-way to pedestrians crossing the road at intersections and crosswalks. Drivers who fail to yield the right-of-way or look for pedestrians before entering an intersection may be held liable for the damages they cause.
- Excessive speeding: When a motorist is exceeding the speed limit, he or she will have less time to react to pedestrians on the roadway. Motorists are legally required to exercise due caution, especially while approaching a crosswalk or an intersection.
- Drunk driving: Alcohol is involved in an alarming number of pedestrian accidents. Drivers who are under the influence of alcohol have an increased chance of running a stop sign or failing to see a pedestrian crossing the road.
- Dangerous roadways: Poorly marked crosswalks and intersections can lead to serious pedestrian accidents. In such cases, the governmental agency in charge of the roadway may be held liable for the damages.
Victims of pedestrian accidents would be well advised to:
- Exchange information with the driver and any witnesses to the crash.
- Contact police and get your side of the story in the report.
- Take photos of the site, the damage to the car and the injuries you suffered
- Seek medical attention irrespective of how you "feel" at the time
- Call an experienced Miami pedestrian accident attorney
The attorneys at the law offices of Ruth E. Johnson protect the rights of injured Florida pedestrians. We work to hold negligent drivers accountable for the damages they cause. Let us help you pursue financial compensation for your medical bills, therapy fees, time away from work and pain and suffering. Please call our law offices today to schedule your free consultation.