Riding a motorcycle can be a wonderful way to get around in Florida. That said, motorcyclists in Florida face significant hazards on our roadways. From negligent drivers to dangerous roadways, there are several dangers that can make motorcycle riding risky. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident caused by someone else's negligence, an experienced Miami motorcycle accident attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options.Florida Motorcycle Accident Statistics
According to a 2007 report by the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, 550 motorcyclists were killed in Florida car accidents. In 2008, 532 motorcyclists were killed in Florida. Victims of motorcycle accident injuries may file a personal injury claim to recover losses such as medical expenses and loss of earnings. The family of someone killed in a motorcycle accident may file a wrongful death claim to recover losses such as funeral expenses and lost future wages.Causes of Miami Motorcycle Crashes
There are many potential causes for serious motorcycle accidents.
- Drunk Drivers: It is illegal to drive with a blood alcohol concentration of .08 percent or higher under Florida Statute 316.193. Drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol cause a number of motorcycle accidents because they fail to watch out for smaller vehicles such as motorcycles on roadways or at street intersections.
- Hazardous Roadways: The failure to maintain a safe roadway could endanger motorcyclists. Hitting a pothole or uneven surface at a high speed could cause a motorcycle to veer out of control.
- Motorcycle Defects: Motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable to flaws that affect steering, braking and acceleration. When a motorcyclist is injured in a single vehicle crash, it would be a good idea to preserve the vehicle as is for a thorough inspection. An examination may prove that an auto defect led to the crash. In such cases, the manufacturer of the defective part or the motorcycle manufacturer could be held liable.
- Distracted Drivers: Driving inattentively is a serious problem in Florida. If a driver lets his or her vehicle veer out of traffic, a nearby motorcyclist could be put in great peril. Distracted drivers are also less likely to properly yield right-of-way to motorcycle riders.
- Reckless Motorists: Reckless driving puts everyone on the roadway at risk of injury. Under Statute 316.192, reckless driving is when a motorist "drives any vehicle in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons."
Motorcycles provide almost no protection to riders. Serious motorcycle accidents often lead to catastrophic injuries or even death. Anyone who is injured in a Miami motorcycle accident by a negligent driver may seek compensation by filing a personal injury claim. The at-fault driver may be held liable for all medical expenses, loss of wages and other related damages.
The Miami personal injury attorneys at the law offices of Ruth E. Johnson have a history of protecting the rights of Florida motorcyclists. If you or a loved one has been injured in a Miami motorcycle accident, please call us for a free, comprehensive and completely confidential consultation.