Everyday someone is killed or injured in a Florida car accident. If a negligent driver has injured you or a loved one, it is in your best interest to speak with a skilled Miami personal injury attorney. An experienced accident lawyer will help you through the complicated process of pursuing compensation for your losses so that you can focus on your recovery. All injured victims of Florida car accidents should know their rights and what steps they should take following an accident to ensure that their rights are protected.Florida Car Accident Statistics
According to The Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Department, in 2007, there were 3,221 fatalities that occurred as a result of Florida car accidents. In 2008, the number of people killed in Florida car crashes decreased to 2,983. Of those fatal crashes, drivers who operated under the influence of alcohol caused 1,244 fatalities in 2007 and 1,169 deaths in 2008.Steps to Take Following a Florida Car Accident
There are a number of steps that an injured victim would be well-advised to take following a car accident to ensure that his or her rights are protected.
- Notify the authorities: It is important that the police are told about any accident where someone is injured. Make sure your side of the story is put into the police report. If the police do not show up at the site of the crash, file a report at the station within 24 hours.
- Collect Information: Get the license and insurance information from the other drivers involved in the collision. If anyone witnessed the crash, get his or her contact information as well.
- Take notes: Immediately following a crash your heart and mind are probably racing. It is important to take a deep breath and start writing down every detail about the accident. Where did it take place? What time was it? What were your apparent injuries? Were you in pain? You will be asked these questions over and over and it is important that your explanation is clear and consistent.
- Take photos: If you don’t have a camera in your car, use your cell phone. Take photos of the damage to the vehicles, the location of the crash, the position of the vehicles and of the injuries you have suffered.
- Seek medical attention: For a speedy recovery you should see a medical professional right away. This medical record will serve as evidence to chronicle your injuries and the time they take to heal completely.
- Call an experienced personal injury attorney: Insurance companies profit from denying claims. A skilled personal injury attorney can work with the insurance companies involved on your behalf to make sure that you receive the maximum settlement possible.
Injured victims may pursue compensation for their losses by filing a personal injury claim. Compensation may be available for all related hospital expenses, lost income, physical pain and emotional distress. A reputed personal injury attorney will offer a free case evaluation to anyone injured by a negligent driver. The Miami accident attorneys at Ruth E. Johnson help victims assess liability and hold at-fault drivers accountable for the accidents they cause. Call us today to discuss your legal rights and options.